Trademark violation warning

I’ve managed to setup LibreTranslate in docker and after unsuccessfully using it with crow translate I got a warning:

This website might be in violation of our trademark guidelines: https://github.com/LibreTranslate/LibreTranslate/blob/main/TRADEMARK.md

How is that? I’m using this privately, I mean, the API request even came from the local network… Even if I manage to access my private instance from the Internet, how can I avoid getting this warning?

I think because of this crow translate is not working well as it’s only showing a tiny part from the middle of the translated text (if I translate using the webui it works fine).

(I’m using nginx)

Mm, what is the URL that you use to access LibreTranslate?

I’m using pihole + nginx to access my instance with libretranslate.home.arpa. Do you think it’s detecting .arpa as a public TLD?

I’m still getting the warning, tested this again: used crow translate, received only a portion of the translated text, went to the webui and received the warning.

Tried setting up the IP and port instead and I got the same result, for example I translated this (Iliad wiki)

The Iliad (/ˈɪliəd/;[1] Ancient Greek: Ἰλιάς, romanized: Iliás, Attic Greek: [iː.li.ás]; "a poem about Ilium (Troy)") is one of two major ancient Greek epic poems attributed to Homer. It is one of the oldest extant works of literature still widely read by modern audiences. As with the Odyssey, the poem is divided into 24 books and was written in dactylic hexameter. It contains 15,693 lines in its most widely accepted version. Set towards the end of the Trojan War, a ten-year siege of the city of Troy by a coalition of Mycenaean Greek states, the poem depicts significant events in the siege's final weeks. In particular, it depicts a fierce quarrel between King Agamemnon and a celebrated warrior, Achilles. It is a central part of the Epic Cycle. The Iliad is often regarded as the first substantial piece of European literature.

The Iliad and the Odyssey were likely written down in Homeric Greek, a literary mixture of Ionic Greek and other dialects, probably around the late 8th or early 7th century BC. Homer's authorship was infrequently questioned in antiquity, but contemporary scholarship predominantly assumes that the Iliad and the Odyssey were composed independently and that the stories formed as part of a long oral tradition. The poem was performed by professional reciters of Homer known as rhapsodes. 

And received this:

The poem was performed by professional reciters of Homer known as rhapsodes.

Even when I’m doing Auto-detect to English, in this case it retrieved the last sentence.

Btw I just saw this instance: https://translate.terraprint.co/ is using the same default branding but it doesn’t get any warnings about the trademark and they are exposing their instance to the Internet, how is it that I do get that warning?

Yeah, it’s because of the “libretranslate” prefix.

I could recommend to change it (e.g. use “translate.home.arpa”) until we can write a fix for this, since it’s an intranet domain.

1 Like

Thank you, tried this and it doesn’t show the warning anymore, about crow translate it looks like it’s related to them instead.

1 Like