Hi there. This is much above my knowledge level, so pardon me if I’m at all off the mark here.
As I understand it, Argos supports CUDA, which is limited to certain Nvidia cards.
There is a project called HIP that may open up support to AMD cards as well. Is this something that Argos could benefit from, or within the scope of the project to implement?
HIP is a C++ Runtime API and Kernel Language that allows developers to create portable applications for AMD and NVIDIA GPUs from single source code.
Key features include:
- HIP is very thin and has little or no performance impact over coding directly in CUDA mode.
- HIP allows coding in a single-source C++ programming language including features such as templates, C++11 lambdas, classes, namespaces, and more.
- HIP allows developers to use the “best” development environment and tools on each target platform.
- The HIPIFY tools automatically convert source from CUDA to HIP.
- Developers can specialize for the platform (CUDA or AMD) to tune for performance or handle tricky cases.
They also have a
hipify-python tool if this is relevant to Argos (again, above my knowledge level), see this link: https://github.com/ROCm-Developer-Tools/HIP/pull/1090
Just wondering. It would be nice to have AMD GPU support