LibreTranslate support in the official Mastodon distribution

Very exciting stuff! Mastodon is one of the largest open source Twitter competitors.

Mastodon is a free, open-source social network server based on ActivityPub where users can follow friends and discover new ones. On Mastodon, users can publish anything they want: links, pictures, text, video. All Mastodon servers are interoperable as a federated network (users on one server can seamlessly communicate with users from another one, including non-Mastodon software that implements ActivityPub)!

1 Like

I requested this feature last year and had mostly forgotten about it. I didn’t realize LibreTranslate was going to be in the next Mastodon release until people started asking me about adding new languages for their Mastodon servers and I got the GitHub notification.

There are a lot of Mastodon users speaking many different languages so this feature should help a lot of people and drive more LibreTranslate use. :rocket:

1 Like

Server owners can configure a translation backend that enables users to translate public posts. Results are cached, so requests for translating the same string into the same language, even across different posts, does not hit the backend more than once.
Supported backends

• DeepL (DEEPL_API_KEY and DEEPL_PLAN)
  • LibreTranslate (LIBRE_TRANSLATE_ENDPOINT and LIBRE_TRANSLATE_API_KEY)

Woah, this is big. Mastodon is a really big, influential project. :pray: Exciting!

1 Like